By SHELLEY CHAPMAN
of Naturi Beauty
Grab Cakes? Yes, you’re right sounds a lot like Crab Cakes. They’re actually a lovely, perfectly seasoned, vegan version; tofu, crisp veggies and arame (a type of seaweed) team up and lend their incredible flavors to these Grab Cakes, guaranteeing that you and your loved ones will be grabbing for more. Keeping in mind the demands of family, career and our own self- imposed schedules, I made sure that these vegan sea treats were quick and easy to prepare and wouldn’t leave you in a crabby mood because of prep and clean-up. Enjoy!
What You’ll Need
* 1 block 16oz. firm tofu, drained
* ½ red bell pepper
* ½ green bell pepper
* ½ yellow onion
* ½ cup spelt flour
* ½ cup bread crumbs
* 1 TB dijon mustard
* 1 tsp garlic powder
* 2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
* ½ tsp parsley
* ½ tsp thyme
* ½ tsp adobo
* S &P to taste
How To Make It:
1. Prepare tofu by wrapping in cheesecloth or paper towels and draining excess liquids.
2. Prepare arame according to package directions and mince.
3. Process both bell peppers in food processor until finely chopped and the liquids begin to release.
4. Mince onion.
5. Break tofu into pieces in a mixing bowl.
6. Add pepper, onion, bread crumbs, flour, arame and spices to tofu.
7. Mix with hands until tofu is crumbly and all ingredients are well integrated.
8. Let sit for 15 minutes.
9. Shape into patties and brown in med/low heat on both sides about five to six minutes per side in a mix of vegan margarine and oil.
Serve with a side of your own tasty dipping sauce.
About our MyBrownBaby contributor:
Shelley Chapman is a culinary artisan whose passion for “natural, from scratch, quality ingredient meals” led her to consult on meal preparation, planning and holistic consumption as a personal chef for her company, Naturi Beauty Concepts. She offers private culinary services in the Atlanta area, specializing in Vegan and Vegetarian cuisine with a global influence. For more tasty vegetarian/vegan recipes, please visit Shelley’s blog at Naturi Beauty.