By Bassey Ikpi
- Boogie: Oh, mommy! Today I saw some gooses…
- Me: Geese
- Boogie: What’s a geese?
- Me: Geese is plural for goose.
- Boogie: What’s a plural?
- Me: It means more than one. Just one is singular. So one goose. Several geese.
- Boogie: *blank stare*
- Boogie: I’m 4 years old and I was just trying to tell you a story!
- *walks away shaking his head*
- Boogie: Grandpa! I have a story to tell you about Gooses!
Bassey Ikpi is a Nigeria-born, Oklahoma-bred, PG County-fed, Brooklyn-led writer/poet/neurotic who is also the single mother of an amazing man-child, Elaiwe Ikpi, a.k.a., Boogie. A strong advocate of mental health awareness, Bassey is writing a memoir about living with mental illness and producing Basseyworld Live, a stage show that infuses poetry and interactive panel discussions about everything from politics to pop culture. Find more Bassey on her site, Bassey's World.