By Bassey Ikpi
- Boogie: Oh, mommy! Today I saw some gooses…
- Me: Geese
- Boogie: What’s a geese?
- Me: Geese is plural for goose.
- Boogie: What’s a plural?
- Me: It means more than one. Just one is singular. So one goose. Several geese.
- Boogie: *blank stare*
- Boogie: I’m 4 years old and I was just trying to tell you a story!
- *walks away shaking his head*
- Boogie: Grandpa! I have a story to tell you about Gooses!
Bassey Ikpi is a Nigeria-born, Oklahoma-bred, PG County-fed, Brooklyn-led writer/poet/neurotic who is also the single mother of an amazing man-child, Elaiwe Ikpi, a.k.a., Boogie. A strong advocate of mental health awareness, Bassey is writing a memoir about living with mental illness and producing Basseyworld Live, a stage show that infuses poetry and interactive panel discussions about everything from politics to pop culture. Find more Bassey on her site, Bassey's World.
Mom. NY Times bestselling author. Pop culture ninja. Unapologetic lover of shoes, bacon and babies. Nice with the verbs. Founder of the top black parenting website, MyBrownBaby.