Soul Holiday: The Ill MyBrownBaby Christmas Song Playlist
There’s a running joke between my son Mazi and I about who’s more Mr/Mrs Christmas around the MyBrownBaby household. Both of us absolutely stan for Christmas music. Like, with an almost fanatical zeal that’s wholly unnatural. We start playing it religiously the day after Thanksgiving, and we pump up the volume big time when we’re decorating the tree, hanging lights outside, and wrapping presents. Best believe, too, that when our feet are under the table at Christmas dinner—no matter whose table it is—our Christmas play list is bumping in the background. It’s that serious.
Every year, I add on a few more songs to our play list—some of them old treasures that I’ve discovered on iTunes, others new offerings I’ve heard on the radio and purchased at the store or online. Old standbys include beautiful Christmas songs by Kirk Franklin, Whitney Houston, Dianne Reeves, Anita Baker, Brian McKnight and Harry Connick, Jr.; this year, I added on songs from Justin Bieber (at the insistence of my girlpies!), Jason Mraz, Macy Gray, Musiq Soulchild and Tamia, plus some classic offerings by Billie Holiday and Louis Armstrong that I copped on Spotify.
If you’re a true Christmas music connoisseur, you’ll love this protracted list I whipped up just for MyBrownBaby (my playlist is way too long to reproduce here). Most of these are available on iTunes if you want to download them for a fantastical Soul Holiday Christmas Playlist of your own.
- Joy To the World, Whitney Houston
- Silent Night, Kirk Franklin & The Family
- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, Yolanda Adams
- The Christmas Song, Tamia
- Back Door Santa, Clarence Carter
- Winter Wonderland, Jason Mraz
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Wynton Marsalis
- I’ll Be Home For Christmas, Will Downing
- Santa Claus Go Straight To The Ghetto, James Brown
- Christmas In Hollis, Run D.M.C.
- Let It Snow, Boyz II Men, Brian McKnight
- Merry Christmas Baby, Faith Evans
- Santa Baby, Eartha Kitt
- Let It Snow, Dianne Reeves
- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, Ledisi
- O Christmas Tree, Musiq Soulchild
- This Christmas (Hang All The Mistletoe), Macy Gray
- What You Want For Christmas, K-Nock, Quad City DJ’s & The 69 Boyz
- Sleigh Ride, TLC
- I Want To Come Home For Christmas, Marvin Gaye
- Christmas In The City, Mary J. Blige, Angie Martinez
- Christmas Night In Harlem, Louis Armstrong
- I’ve Got My Love To Keep You Warm, Billie Holiday
- It Must Have Been Ol’ Santa Claus, Harry Connick, Jr.
- The Christmas Song, Brian McKnight
- What Christmas Means To Me, Stevie Wonder
- I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, Joe Sample
- Jesus Is The Reason For The Season, Kirk Franklin
- Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Tony Bennet
- Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, Nat King Cole
Mom. NY Times bestselling author. Pop culture ninja. Unapologetic lover of shoes, bacon and babies. Nice with the verbs. Founder of the top black parenting website, MyBrownBaby.
- Web |
- More Posts
Some I know, some are new…I’ll have to check them out! My favorite Christmas album is Hanson’s Snowed In…great classics and sweet originals too.
NICE! I’ll have to check that one out, for sure! Thanks for sharing!
I wish we were that Happy-go-Lucky about playing Christmas music around our house. I actually get into a Ba-humbug mood starting mid-November, because everyone is already trying to celebrate Christmas and Thanksgiving hasn’t even passed (not to mention it’s my Birthday at least the 26th is…). So I refuse ALL Christmas music and anything related to the holiday until December 1st … and only sooner if I am forced to, LOL! We will be having a huge gathering at our place for Christmas Eve and so I think I will build this playlist and get it going for tomorrow’s festivities… After we go catch some culture again this month (The Nutcracker at the Overture Center in WI). It’s a girls afternoon and I can’t wait to spend it with my daughter’s, niece and sister!
Thanks for sharing 🙂