A bombshell in the sex abuse trial of Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State coach accused of molesting 10 young boys: his adopted son, Mike Sandusky, met with prosecutors and was prepared to testify that he, too, was molested by his adopted father. Mike Sandusky never made it to the stand because he was not one of the complainants in the case; had Jerry Sandusky testified, though, his son, Mike, would have been called to the witness stand to refute his father’s testimony. The Sandusky case went to the jury yesterday. (New York Times)
Prosecutors released two of George Zimmerman’s videotaped statements about what he says happened the night he shot and killed Trayvon Martin. Never once does he mention in either that he racially profiled, stalked and then ran after the unarmed teen, prompting Trayvon to STAND HIS GROUND and fight Zimmerman, only to be shot and killed for protecting himself from a stranger. Check out Zimmerman’s
lies police interrogation video here. (Colorlines)
And other MyBrownBaby Fresh Links:
1. Halle Berry ordered to pay ex Gabriel Aubry $20,000-a-month in child support so that when she visit her daddy, little Nahla can live the life she’s accustomed to. (OMG! Yahoo)
2. POSTSCRIPT: RODNEY KING, 1965-2012: Jelani Cobb pens a poignant piece chronicling King’s impact on police brutality and all of our responses to it. (The New Yorker)
3. More than 75,000 have downloaded the Stop-and-Frisk App, an Android tool for recording police wrongdoing. Thousands of images already collected via the app will be included in the New York Civil Liberty Union’s public-education, communications and lobbying efforts and may also be used to litigate cases against officers. (The Root)
4. Kris Humphries Says Kim Kardashian’s Mom Planned Ray J Sex Tape <– *long blank stare* (Atlanta Black Star)
5. Whatever You Do, Don’t Watch This ‘Octomom: Home Alone’ Porn Trailer! (Mommyish)
6. Be a ‘Slave for a Day’: the National Park Wants To Hook You Up With An Unforgettable Experience. Seriously. (Washington Post)
7. Black students benefit more from a college degree than other races. (The Grio)
8. South Carolina Church Posts Racially-Charged Abortion Sign (HuffPo Black Voices)
9. Recession Made Wealth Gap Between Blacks, Whites Even Larger (CNN Money)
And, finally, my friend and MyBrownBaby contributor Bassey Ikpi announced “No Shame Day,” on July 2, 2012. From Bassey:
“The Siwe Project, a global non-profit dedicated to promoting mental health awareness throughout the international black community is launching a campaign that focuses on stigma reduction through storytelling and community building. The first annual No Shame Day is an opportunity for people around the world to rally around mental health care. The Siwe Project website will host candid discussions about mental illness stigma, diagnoses, and treatment options. The purpose of No Shame Day is to encourage more people to seek treatment without shame.”
Please support The Siwe Project and Bassey by spreading the word about the event and participating in “No Shame Day,” which takes place on July 2, 2012. For more details, visit The Siwe Project.
Have a fab weekend, friends!
Mom. NY Times bestselling author. Pop culture ninja. Unapologetic lover of shoes, bacon and babies. Nice with the verbs. Founder of the top black parenting website, MyBrownBaby.