There’s a running joke between my son Mazi and I about who’s more Mr/Mrs Christmas around the MyBrownBaby household. Both of us absolutely stan for Christmas music. Like, with an almost fanatical zeal that’s wholly unnatural. We start playing it religiously the day after Thanksgiving, and we pump up the volume big time when we’re decorating the tree, hanging lights outside, and wrapping presents. Best believe, too, that when our feet are under the table at Christmas dinner—no matter whose table it is—our Christmas play list is bumping in the background. It’s that serious.
Every year, I add on a few more songs to our play list—some of them old treasures that I’ve discovered on iTunes, others new offerings I’ve heard on the radio and purchased at the store or online. Old standbys include beautiful Christmas songs by Kirk Franklin, Whitney Houston, Dianne Reeves, Anita Baker, Brian McKnight and Harry Connick, Jr.; this year, I added on songs from Justin Bieber (at the insistence of my girlpies!), Jason Mraz, Macy Gray, Musiq Soulchild and Tamia, CeeLo Green and Mary J. Blige, plus some classic offerings by Billie Holiday and Louis Armstrong that I copped on Spotify. (Please note: Donny Hathaway’s “This Christmas” is an obvious tradition and should be on every Christmas music playlist ever known to man; he most certainly is on all five of mine. I stretched a little in the list below, however, by putting a funky version by Macy Grey, who is one in a long line of singers who remade the classic version.)
If you’re a true Christmas music connoisseur, you’ll love this protracted list I whipped up just for MyBrownBaby (my playlist is way too long to reproduce here). Most of these are available on iTunes if you want to download them for a fantastical Soul Holiday Christmas Playlist of your own.
- Joy To the World, Whitney Houston
- Silent Night, Kirk Franklin & The Family
- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, Yolanda Adams
- The Christmas Song, Tamia
- Back Door Santa, Clarence Carter
- Winter Wonderland, Jason Mraz
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Wynton Marsalis
- I’ll Be Home For Christmas, Will Downing
- Santa Claus Go Straight To The Ghetto, James Brown
- Christmas In Hollis, Run D.M.C.
- Let It Snow, Boyz II Men, Brian McKnight
- Merry Christmas Baby, Faith Evans
- Santa Baby, Eartha Kitt
- Let It Snow, Dianne Reeves
- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, Ledisi
- O Christmas Tree, Musiq Soulchild
- This Christmas (Hang All The Mistletoe), Macy Gray
- What You Want For Christmas, K-Nock, Quad City DJ’s & The 69 Boyz
- Sleigh Ride, TLC
- I Want To Come Home For Christmas, Marvin Gaye
- Christmas In The City, Mary J. Blige, Angie Martinez
- Christmas Night In Harlem, Louis Armstrong
- I’ve Got My Love To Keep You Warm, Billie Holiday
- It Must Have Been Ol’ Santa Claus, Harry Connick, Jr.
- The Christmas Song, Brian McKnight
- What Christmas Means To Me, Stevie Wonder
- I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, Joe Sample
- Jesus Is The Reason For The Season, Kirk Franklin
- Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Tony Bennet
- Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, Nat King Cole
What are some of your favorite Christmas songs? Tell me in the comments section so that I can cop some more holiday goodies for my playlist.
[*Editor’s note: Portions of this post appeared on MyBrownBaby in December 2011]
Mom. NY Times bestselling author. Pop culture ninja. Unapologetic lover of shoes, bacon and babies. Nice with the verbs. Founder of the top black parenting website, MyBrownBaby.