As Usher’s ex-wife holds vigil by the bedside of her son, who a week ago today was critically injured in a tragic jet ski accident that reportedly left him brain dead, the R&B singer is said to have changed his tune in his epic child support and custody battle against Tameka Raymond. Sources tell TMZ that Usher instructed his lawyers to craft a new proposed settlement that would give Tameka “a majority” of custody of their young sons, Usher V and Naavid, plus a significant raise in his child support. The offer has not been presented to Tameka yet, but TMZ says she’s open to a “reasonable settlement.” (TMZ)
1. You don’t say? Trayvon Martin Shooter George Zimmerman Called Overzealous ‘Soft Guy’ With a ‘Little Hero Complex’ (ABC News)
2. Wells Fargo Agrees to Pay $175 Mil for Charging Blacks Higher Rates (AtlantaBlackStar)
3. If you adore Nina Simone—or you’re a fan of good music and strong black women—check out Salamishah Tillet’s “My American Dream Sounds Like Nina Simone.” (NPR)
4. For the best commentary on singer Frank Ocean’s revelation that his first love was a man, check out Michael Arceneaux’s “Why Frank Ocean’s ‘Coming Out’ Was Brave.” (TheGriot)
5. So Basically Jerry Sandusky Raped Children For 14 Years And Nobody Gave A Damn (Mommyish)
6. And in today’s “The Tea Party Has Lost Its Delusional Damn Mind” news: Tea Party Groups In Tennessee Demand Textbooks Overlook U.S. Founder’s Slave-Owning History (HuffPo Black Voices)
7. Lawd, don’t they know who her husband is? Cop accused of threatening First Lady Michelle Obama. (Washington Post)
8. According to some newly expectant moms at BabyCenter.com, a 50 Shades Of Grey-inspired baby boom is heading our way. (BabyCenter)
9. Kids, Technology & Keeping Them Safe: Great Tips For Protecting Little Ones While They Surf the Web (Ebony.com)
10. Summer Fun: Great Savings Tips for Families, From Amusement Parks To Your Own Backyard (Women & Co.)
That’s all I got, folks. Have a fantastic weekend!
Mom. NY Times bestselling author. Pop culture ninja. Unapologetic lover of shoes, bacon and babies. Nice with the verbs. Founder of the top black parenting website, MyBrownBaby.