Joe Rickey Hundley, the 60-year-old Idaho man accused of slapping a 19-month-old African American baby in his face and demanding the child’s mother “shut that nigger baby up,” during an airplane flight in February pleaded not guilty to federal assault charges earlier this week. While he admits to hurling the racial slur at Jessica Bennett, the child’s mother, Hundley denies striking little Jonah. His lawyer, Marcia Shein, also insists that when the alleged incident occurred, Hundley was upset and grieving because he was on his way to take his son off life support. Shein says Hundley’s son died the day after the airplane altercation. However, Bennett says Hundley had several cocktails on the plane and was sloppy drunk when he yelled at her child and hit him in the face, causing his eye to swell and bleed. Hundley faces a $100,000 fine and a maximum penalty of a year in jail if found guilty on the assault charges—which, in my opinion, wouldn’t even begin to be punishment enough for a grown man accused of pimp slapping a stranger’s baby and calling him the “N” word. Like, at all. Read more about the case at NewsOne.
Plus, more MyBrownBaby Fresh Links:
1. 5 Un-PC Things I’ve Been Dying to Say About the Steubenville Rape Case (Clutch)
2. Parents Force Girl to Hold Sign as Punishment for Being Disrespectful. Tough Love or Too Much? (Yahoo Shine)
3. Gun Control Rally Held In Harlem: Why We Are Marching (Grio)
4. Who Should Be in the Gifted Program? Cities Experiment With Making Honors Classes More Inclusive (Slate)
5. Tamar Braxton Baby Sex Revealed By Fellow Reality Star (VIDEO) (HuffPo)
6. Daddy-Daughter Dancing Behind Bars (Washington Post)
7. Lessons In How To Hate From experts: Nazis, Klan speak at schools (Washington Times)
8. A Colorblind Constitution: What Abigail Fisher’s Affirmative Action Case Is Really About (ProPublica)
9. Why Cops, Community Are at Odds in Brooklyn (TheRoot)
And finally, he’s on break right now, but Kid President jumped back into action to help a very special 6th grader who is working to make the world more awesome. After being invited to the NYC premiere of Dreamworks Animation’s new film The Croods, he decided it’d be the perfect opportunity to create a video for Chase, who is working to provide meals to families in his community who don’t have them on the weekends, when free school lunch is unavailable. Check out Kid President’s fun video—and his mack moves on Emma Stone—in the video below.
Have a fab weekend!
Mom. NY Times bestselling author. Pop culture ninja. Unapologetic lover of shoes, bacon and babies. Nice with the verbs. Founder of the top black parenting website, MyBrownBaby.